Monday, April 10, 2006

The Mighty Fugly Thor

deodato thor

First of all, I'd like to second the "?!" the off-panel lady used in her word balloon, and I'd like to add, if I may, "??!!!?!???!!?!?!!" There, that should cover how I feel. Which is hurt. I feel like somebody took my eyes and gave them an Indian burn, a swirlie, and about twenty power sit-ups.

This is from "Avengers: The Crossing" #1 (September 1995). Those were dark days for superhero costumes, my friend. I really don't like Thor's original outfit (now there's somebody I could help, if he didn't kill me first) but this thing is a mess. Let's break it down:

1. The straps, MY GOD, the straps! What is their purpose? And why are there so many of them? He strapped his boots, for Pete's sake. Why, was there some danger of them falling off of his feet? Plus, he strapped his gloves! Also, there appears to be a fan belt on his thigh. Of special note is the Barney Rubble lace-up action between the spikes.

2. The spikes. And on his thighs, yet. Were there a lot of people attacking the sides of your thighs, Thor? Is that why you put the spikes there? On the shoulderpads I can kind of understand but even so, the spikes are so fat and far apart from one another (more obvious in other panels, I admit) that they lose all effectiveness. To illustrate that fact, I'd like to present a little one act play I've written, called "Triumph Of The Troll King!"

(Curtain rises on a bleak Asgardian plain. Standing amidst scores of dead, two final opponents face off. They are Geirrodur, King of the Trolls, and Thor the Thuder God. Geirrodur is heavily armored and weilds two axes. Thor holds his legendary hammer and is dressed in a ridiculously convoluted outfit.)

Thor (waves his hammer menacingly): Thou dost hesitate, Troll King! Know, then, that the Mighty Thor shall show thee mine godly mercy, provided thou dost drop thy weapon and surrender to Asgard!

Geirrodur: Naw, see, I was just looking at your armor and my first thought was "Oh shit, spikes" but then I got a better look at those puppies and I thought, "Well, hell, not only are they kinda chunky and non-threatening looking but really, I could probably fit my whole hand between 'em. Like this! (With alarming speed, Geirrodur's axes sever both Thor's arms at the shoulder.)

Thor: Not cool, dude.

(Curtain falls)

3. Belly shirt! Mind you, I did something similar with my Black Condor redesign, but with the preponderance of spikes, the exposed abdomen seems more like a gaping flaw in Thor's battle armor than a "design element." As a side note, I'd just like to point out that this was in 1985 when the whole idea of a belly shirt actually seemed fresh and fashionable. Which makes the current Supergirl's costume seem even more dated and whore-ish.

4. Introducing: chastity belts for men! How uncomfortable does that thing look, huh? And what happens if he has to pee? (Aw, who am I kidding? He's a god! He can hold it in. For eons.)

5. The hammer now has a big fat chain on it. Not for any practical purpose, but because it looks kewl. Not "cool," mind you. "Kewl." Which is considerably less cool than "cool."

6. Get a haircut, hippie! Yes, our Thor went out and got himself some hair extensions. The hair is even longer, fuller, more lustrous, and gravity-defying in other panels and on the wraparound cover of this comic, especially. While he's obviously spending a lot of time taking care of those extensions, they just seem like they'd get in the way during a fight. And imagine what he looks like when it gets wet. That's right. He looks like Janice from "The Muppet Show."

If I remember right, Thor had this look in about four issues of his own comic before it was finally cancelled. Turns out their target audience was only going to purchase books with ugly, strappy costumes and sketchy anatomy if they had a big "i" on the cover.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, The Crossing. It was the Dissassembled of its day, except that Marvel didn't delude themselves into believing it was good.

Thor's had a brevy of different costumes over the years, but they'r generally all egregious eyesores. Remember the one the High Evolutionary gave him? I shudder at the thought. He basically wrapped himself in tin foil. That thing made Thunderstrike's ponytail, earrings, and leather vest seem almost decent.

The only passable alternate costume he ever was his armored outfit from back in the 80's. That thing rocked the full beard.

Sorry, I couldn't find any pics of these outfits. I'll send you scans if you want, though. The people must know!

Anonymous said...

That chastity belt thingie is kind of scaring me. It's just so flat. There isn't even a hint of a bulge. Is he trying to tell us something?

-nico

Anonymous said...

Grotesque muscles... tiny to nonexistent genitals... Perhaps they photo-referenced Barry Bonds.

(Yeah, it's a cheap blow, but I preferred it when baseball required actual skill. The only chemical Babe Ruth needed was alcohol, damn it.)

Anonymous said...

Yep. Yep yep yep. Nice one, Thor.

Gad a'mighty, what are these people thinking? Honestly?

The real horror is that, as '90s style hero costuming goes, this is far from being the worst example. Being slapped on an iconic character gives it more negative oomph than it'd have otherwise, I think.

Jeremy Rizza said...

Thanks for dropping by, people! Nice to see y'all again.

Spiritglyph: I remember all of those costumes (and I have Jeremy's comics to prove it) except for the High Evolutionary one. I'm intrigued, though. Was this during the holo-foil cover era or was it earlier?

Nico: I agree, that big, metal "V" with the inexplicable cleft down the middle is one spooky accessory. It's looks like a bionic cameltoe.

Chawunky: Too true about the deadly combination of iconic character/faddish costume. I don't want to see Aquaman with a single ginormous shoulderpad anymore than I want to see my grampa with leather pants and a nipple ring.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Hawkman have exactly this same costume circa '94 or '95?

Blue leggings, brown thigh straps, He-Man X-harness, chastity cod-piece, all check.

Jeremy Rizza said...

Wow. That's just uncanny. But at least Hawkman's codpiece looks halfway comfortable. It's quilted, for the luvva Mike! Still, they look like they went to the same tailor.