Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rescue Me: The Melter

Sorry... no "Snowbeast" post today. Or ever, probably. I realized it was too easy. So instead we have the Melter! I can't seem to find a decent image of the Melter on the web right now, so I guess we'll have to settle with me linking myself. Look in the second panel. He's the majorette of the loser parade!

So here's what I'd do:

mymelter

I reduced the green and orange to spot colors and gave him a mask that covers his whole face. I figure the orange lights on the harness around the melting weapon would light up in succession from the outside in, as it powers up. As for the green lights on the arms and legs... well, I just put those in there because I thought they'd look cool and they'd be a call-back to his green pinstripe trousers. If you want a practical reason? They contain coolant. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Tonight: Rescue Me: Cyclone.
Tomorrow (morning, I hope): Rescue Me: The Hijacker!

I swear to God I'm going to get caught up on this thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You made the Melter actually look...threatening! And evil! And sinister! As much of a classic villain as the Melter was, he never looked like any of those things. But you've pulled it off. I love the idea of the lights turning on one after the other as he prepares to unleash the fury of his melting ray. This is a dude you don't want to see emerging from the smoke and dusty debris of your just-slagged superhero headquarters wall.

I am so hyped the Hijacker redesign is coming! I don't know why (maybe because I'm nuts) but I love me some Hijacker!

Anonymous said...

At this point, Marvel should really be enlisting your services as a consultant, no lie.

This is an awesome design. I like the faceless face in particular. It looks modern and Marvel-retro all at once. You can't even tell if the Melter is human, which isn't at all a bad thing.

Jeremy Rizza said...

Anonymous: Thanks! And I love the image of the Melter walking out of a cloud of billowing black smoke. Too cool.

Chawunky: Man, that'd be a dream job, huh?

Anonymous said...

The orange strips give him an old timey wood-burning franklin stove look. I like it.