Friday, January 12, 2007

Doctor Strange:Master of the Pimpin' Arts

bbwhitestachehead In "Doctor Strange" #52 (April 1982) the title hero demonstrates many times over why he's Earth's Clotheshorse Supreme.

ds52vest

By the bilious bowels of Bill Blass! Doc looks aces in this classy three-piece number sans coat, with the top two buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up for a touch of sexfulness. In lieu of a tie, Strange has accessorized with a stethoscope which can be yanked dramatically from the neck whilst ordering people about. In fact, the whole thing's so sexful that it's aroused him! And there's only one way to satiate his urge: "Hello, Wong. There is an emergency here..."

But of course that's not the ensemble Doctor Strange is famous for.

ds52snap

Hey, what's the big deal? I can conjure up a weird outfit with just a snap too. Anyway, I've always liked Doc's costume, even if it makes him look like a cross between Ming the Merciless and a ballerina. Now let's see how he dresses for... oh, let's say 15th century Spain.

ds52styles

Suh-WEET! I love those two-layer cloaks. It's why I used one for my He-Looker design. And of course he brought along some boxes for his extra hats. Right? I mean, that's what I'd do.

I think he looks terrific. Like a bad-ass Pilgrim. ("Charles Bronson is Myles Standish in "Thanksgiving, Bloody Thanksgiving!") I'd love to see him in a steel cage match with Solomon Kane. Let's get that hat off his head and see how he styled his hair.

ds52omen

Muttonchops?! I'm in heaven. Why can't he always have muttonchops? Why can't every superhero have muttonchops? (Batman could have muttonchops. He could glue them to the outside of his cowl!)

Also, it's hard to tell from this panel but Doc's wearing his hair longer and he's tied it back in a little ponytail. Like, a dinky one. Three inches at most. Like Patrick Swayze. So that part's kind of lame. But the muttonchops more than make up for it.

Y'know, that hat looks awfully familiar. Hey, Doc! Put it back on so I can get a better look at it. And spin around a few times. Really work it.

ds52audrey

A-ha! Now I remember. Looks like Doc's all gussied up for breakfast. At Tiffany's.

5 comments:

SallyP said...

I don't want to be obnoxious here, but he looks more like he's dressed for 17th century Spain, not 15th. The 15th century would have been late medieval, with hennins and hose, and Guy Gardner haircuts.

Nevertheless, he does look dashing.

Bill S. said...

Doctor Golightly, Master of the Mystic Arts! I love it.

Jeremy Rizza said...

SallyP: I agree with you but I'm going by Doc's thought balloon on page seven: "From the looks of the buildings, I must be in a Spanish village... sometime in the late 15th century!" But then he didn't get his doctorate in architecture so what the heck would he know about it? Or maybe we need to take this up with the artist, Marshall Rogers.

Bill S.: Thanks!

Bully said...

I don't have a snarky comment to add this time; I just wanna say Golly, I love this era of Doc!

Anonymous said...

I admit, I've always been a big fan of Dr. Strange's costume -- even the parts that shouldn't really work, like the odd demon bat on his shirt.

The spotted gloves are a particular highlight somehow.