Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Bland Sabbath

snakeskin blouse

From "Defenders" #96 (Marvel, June 1981), this is Asmodeus Jones, whose real name is "Ozzie Palmer." I wonder who he's based on. No, don't tell me. Jackson Brown, maybe? Kidding! I know it's really Christopher Cross. Anyway, nothing oozes "Satanic" like a billowing, scale-spangled blouse with attached hotpants. And lots of shiny gold bracelets! Nice gams, though.

The comic book gets more deeply mired in fashion stupidity later on with this scene:

modest orgy

Nameless Satanic Handmaiden #3's use of the word "kinky" makes it abundantly clear that an orgy had just taken place, and that it was quite the depraved social affair. But look more closely at Asmodeus. Sure, the robe opens at the front for easy access, but underneath he's still wearing a shirt and pants. Still doubting me? Check out the next panel:

3 piece suit

And the other guy was wearing a business suit! Anyhow, like all rock 'n' roll sex gods, Asmodeus Jones likes to cavort with groupies while wearing sensible slacks and a dress shirt -- buttoned almost to the neck and with the sleeves rolled down, of course. What kind of "kinky" activities took place at this orgy, anyway? "Spin the bottle?" Did they play four-letter Scrabble? Or have a very sensual taffy pull? C'mon, Asmodeus, you can tell me. Spill it, brother!

stare

Er... yeah. Okay. You can stop staring into my very soul now, thank you very much. Gah! I feel like I need to take a shower now. In Lysol. And then dry myself off with a Swiffer.

A couple of notes, before I go and do that:
1. I'd love it if Marvel brought this guy back, older and more rickety with a wife and a couple of rowdy teenage kids, like that guy on that cable reality show... Hulk Hogan.
2. This issue was drawn by Don Perlin, who was like the Curt Swan of Marvel in terms of artistic sensibility and hell, age too, for all I know. Asking Don Perlin to depict the daily life of a heavy metal singer is like asking Jim Balent to draw a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. You're just not going to get the desired results.
3. Yup, Doctor Strange was there, in invisible astral form. He just likes to watch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy must either be related to or dating Dazzler.

Michael said...

In his concert tour poster (your second scan), the hand has five fingers plus a thumb. Nothing's too kinky where The King is concerned!

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, the groupies' purple robes are rather flattering. And while that guy may be wearing a business suit to an orgy, it is sharp-looking suit. Given the contrast, I suspect that Asmodeus' awful outfits are actually bits of characterization. He may rock out in front of the crowd, but at heart, he's just a buttoned up dork.

Bill

Harvey Jerkwater said...

By your dismissive tone, I would wager you've never been to a very sensual taffy pull. Don't be so quick to dismiss them.

"Why, Hazel, the way your gingham frock shifts and sways as you pull upon the taffy...I feel marital impulses hastily a'borning in the chambers of my bosom!"

Jeremy Rizza said...

Vincent: They'd make a hell of a couple, huh? Their lovemaking would be a blur of smeared facepaint and dislodged sequins.

Michael: "The King?" Oh, it's an Elvis Costello reference. See, I'm hep to the krunk of your 21st century entertainers. Like Britney Aguilera, Nelly Timberlake and Blink 311, to name just a few.

Bill: Would a dork go to a very sensual taffy pull? I think not.

Harvey: Dammit, man, you've piqued my interest! How can I snag an invite to one of these parties? Or just clue me in to the day, time, and location, and I'll crash. (Note to self: go shopping for crotchless knickers.)

Anonymous said...

Just a general "ha ha!" to this post, though I do also like the implication in that orgy panel that Dr. Strange talks like a god-computer in an old Star Trek episode.